Water and Sewer Commission

Water Pump Stock Image

Learn About Your Drinking Water

The Town of Fort Jones is continuously testing your drinking water for contaminants. Each year, the Town releases a report on the quality of your drinking water. If you would like to learn more about the steps we took to provide you with safe and dependable drinking water in 2021, read our Consumer Confidence Report.

Coming Soon: New Treatment Facilities

YOUR water system is getting an upgrade! The Town of Fort Jones has secured a grant through the State of California for the construction a new wastewater treatment facility. This grant will cover 50% of the costs associated with the new facilities, while the other 50% of funds will be raised by our sewer system.

Get Help Paying Your Water Bill

Catching up on your water bill can be a daunting task. However, there are programs available that can help.

Apply for aid through Housing is Key, a program providing rent and utility assistance to eligible households. Click here to see if you qualify.

Sign up to be notified when the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) launches this May. LIHWAP will offer a one-time payment to help you pay your past-due water or wastewater bills.

Sign Up For A Payment Plan

The Town of Fort Jones offers payment plans to customers in arrears. Signing up for a 12-month payment plan can make water payments more manageable and avert discontinuation of service. To arrange a payment plan, come in to City Hall between 9:00am and 5:00pm on weekdays, or download a copy of the Payment Plan Agreement linked below, and mail to:


Town of Fort Jones

PO Box 40

Fort Jones, CA 96032


Click here to view the Payment Plan Agreement.


Discontinuation Policy

If you are concerned about the possibility of a water shutoff, read our Residential Water and Sewer Service Discontinuation Policy. To learn about your rights as  a water customer, read our Water Shutoff Protection Act Policy

Appealing A Bill

If you think your water bill is incorrect, you may appeal your bill. Contact the Town Clerk before the bill's due date and the Town Clerk will investigate. Learn more about the appeals process in the Water Shutoff Protection Act Policy, linked above.

Applying For An Extension

Our Discontinuation of Residential Water Services Policy states, "A customer can defer a payment until the 25th of the following month. Customer needs to sign and submit a statement saying when payment will be made." To apply for an extension of time to pay delinquent charges, call City Hall and request a Water Delinquency Extension Application.

Restoration Of Water Service

Once a customer's account is brought current, their water service may be restored for a reconnection fee of $50 during operational hours or up to $150 during non-operational hours. To learn more, see our Water Shutoff Protection Act Policy, linked above.

Tennant Rights

If you have received a disconnection notice and your landlord is the water customer on record for your dwelling, you have the right to avert disconnection by establishing a water account in your own name. This would not obligate you to take on the debts associated with your landlord's account. To learn more, read the Water Shutoff Protection Act Policy, linked above.